Track & field: Athletes up for state run
The University Interscholastic League State Track and Field Meet is this week in Austin, and the Houston area will as usual have a strong presence at the prestigious event.
The meet begins at 8 a.m. Friday, May 13, with the 3,200 meter run for Class A, 2A, 3A and 4A qualifiers, and ends with the 5A boys 1,600 relay at 8:05 p.m. Saturday, May 14.
ABOUT THE EVENT
• What: 2011 UIL State Track and Field Championships
• When: Friday-Saturday, May 13-14
• Where: University of Texas Mike A. Myers Stadium in Austin
• What's at stake: Team and individual state titles and medals
• Admission: Per session — adults $10, students $5; meet ticket session 3-4 $15; coach ticket $15 (with ID); all meet (sessions 1-4) $25. There are no advanced sales. Gates open at 7:15 a.m. each day.
• More information/qualifiers/updates: www.uiltexas.org/track-field/state
• Friday: Field events - 9 a.m.-8 p.m.: Class A-4A, 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Running events - Class 3A, 4A, A and 2A 3,200 meters, 8-10:20 a.m.; Class 3A and 4A finals (400 relay, 800, 100/110 hurdles, 100, 800 relay, 400, 300 hurdles, 200, 1,600, 1,600 relay), 6-9:15 p.m.
• Saturday: Field events -
• 9 a.m.-7 p.m.: Class A, 2A and 5A, 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Running events - Class 5A girls and boys 3,200 meters, 8-8:20 a.m.; Class A and 2A finals (400 relay, 800, 100/110 hurdles, 100, 800 relay, 400, 300 hurdles, 200, 1,600, 1,600 relay), noon to 3:15 p.m. Class 5A finals (400 relay, 800, 100/110 hurdles, 100, 800 relay, 400, 300 hurdles, 200, 1,600, 1,600 relay), 6-8:05 p.m.
• State meet: Qualifiers got there by finishing first or second at regional meets, and once a team or individual has qualified for state, the team or individual may not work out at Mike Myers Stadium, and that's according to the UIL ... All bags carried by contestants or spectators must be checked before entering Myers Stadium. Gates 3 and 4 will be designated for bag checks of participating schools, and personal coolers are not allowed (except those accompanied by an athletic trainer from the school, and only one per team). The following items are not allowed into the stadium - umbrellas, strollers, alcohol, food, beverage container, large bags, backpacks, equipment cases, banners, flag poles and tripods ... There are a number of parking garages within walking distance of the stadium, and University of Texas Parking & Transportation Services administrates all parking rules and fees.
Local Advertising by PaperG