Baseball: Pearland set to host 24-5A foe on Tuesday
Two teams with new coaches that started 2-1 in 24-5A collide in this district battle with the first round of league action just about up.
Pearland is under the direction of Anthony Scalise, and Clear Brook is being led by Gene Flores, and even though both are rookie head coaches, they know their teams very well after serving as varsity assistants.
ABOUT THE GAME
• Matchup: Clear Brook at Pearland
• When: 7 p.m. Tuesday, March 29
• Where: Pearland High School
• What's at stake: A District 24-5A victory against a co-playoff contender
• Pearland players to watch: P-3B Brock Hartson, CF Trey Anderson, P Travis Moore, P Chris Clark, U Bradley Cuyos
• Clear Brook players to watch: SS-P Keaton Miller, 2B Matt Heidt, P-DH-1B Ryan Vruggink, P-1B Nolan Trabanino, P-OF Andrew Phu, 3B Justin Baker
• Pearland: The Oilers opened district with a hard-fought 2-1 loss at Clear Springs, but then won their next two over Clear Lake 7-5 and Dickinson 8-2 ... Pearland won the 22-5A championship last year before being moved back into 24-5A for this season and next. The Oilers took the place of Ball, which dropped down to Class 4A (24-4A) ... The Oilers close the first half of district at 7 p.m. Friday, April 1, against Alvin at Pearland High School, and the second round starts with Pearland hosting Clear Springs at 7 p.m. on April 5 in a much-anticipated rematch.
• Clear Brook: The Wolverines matched Pearland's 2-1 start in 24-5A with wins over Alvin 6-3 and Clear Creek 5-0, and a 13-0 loss to Clear Springs, which shared the early league lead with Brazoswood at 3-0 ... Trabanino tossed a three-hit shutout against Clear Creek with Phu belting a home run in the win ... Clear Brook advanced to the 2010 playoffs with a third place in 24-5A ... After playing at Pearland, the Wolverines are in action at 7 p.m. Friday, April 1, at Dickinson in their first-round finale. Clear Brook starts the second half of district at 7 p.m. on April 5 at Alvin in a third straight road outing.
Local Advertising by PaperG